|NEWS YOU CAN USE||
Zanesville News YOU Can Use (NYCU)
Fall Semester Week 9
Scroll down to learn more about:
1) Student Group Meeting Dates – Habitat for Humanity, Future Educators of OU Zanesville (FEOUZ), Green Bobcats, GLASS, Rotaract, Campus Ministry,
2) Student Nursing Association of Zanesville (SNAZ) Speaker October 23
3) Get Published in Zane Traces Literary Journal
4) Bachelor of Specialized Studies (BSS) Application deadline announced
5) Communication Studies Club collecting loose change for United Way
6) Learn about Grad School for Psychology Majors November 13
7) Win a $500 scholarship from The Muskingum County Business Incubator Contest Deadline November 2
8) Support United Way Fun
1) Student Group Meeting Dates –Ask your advisor & let PR know!
· Future Educators of OU Zanesville (FEOUZ) October 29- 1:00-2:00 and October 31 3:30-4:40p – all meetings in in Elson Hall W102
· Green Bobcats will be having their next meeting on Wednesday October 31, at 2 p.m. in W112.
· Gay Lesbian And Straight Supporters (GLASS) Meeting will be held on Monday, October 29, at 12:30 pm in the Herrold Hall “Pit”.
a. The next G.L.A.S.S meeting is on Monday, October 29 at 12:30 in the libraries PIT.
b. Wednesday, November 7 from 10 am to 2 pm in Campus Center room 430- Jone Payton the Rural AIDS Coordinator and Betty Fisher from the Zanesville-Muskingum County Health Department will be providing free HIV/AIDS test to students. The test is a mouth swab, only takes 20 minutes and can tell you if you are positive or negative. Someone can look and feel healthy but still have HIV.
c. Thursday, November 8 at 7 pm- Lydia Hale, a OU Zanesville graduate and Intern at Hocking College, will present a Safer Sex Education discussion and demonstration in Campus Center Room 411. She will cover STD/STI'S and safer sex practices for straight and LGBT people. Did you know that in 2009 Muskingum County ranked 8th out of all Ohio's 88 counties for the highest number of STI/STD cases and 12th for HIV/AIDS cases. Don't become a statistic!
d. Thursday, November 15 at 7 pm- G.L.A.S.S will be hosting the Science of Sexuality panel. Professors as experts will be answering questions in the fields of Psychology, Sociology, Genetics and Ethics relating to Straight, Gay and Transgendered people. Bring your questions and ideas or just listen to the panel. The panel will be held in the Elson Hall Auditorium.
· Rotaract meets in the Herrold Hall Pit (right outside the library) on the following dates during Fall Semester. You can email the group officers at email@example.com for more information.
· Thursday, Nov 1 at 11 a.m.
· Thursday, Dec 6 at 11 a.m.
· Campus Ministry Club invites everyone to join in campus wide prayer. They meet each month on the first Monday at noon and the third Thursday at 1:00 p.m. Plan to meet on the campus green by the steps of the Campus Center. In case of rain we will meet in the student lounge (lower area) of The Campus Center. Please use the "PRAYER POSTS" located around campus on the bulletin boards. We will be praying for any requests.
When does your student organization meet? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org so we can help you get the word out! Thanks much.
2) Student Nursing Association of Zanesville (SNAZ) Speaker
SNAZ is having a speaker on October 23 from 12-12:30p in the Elson Auditorium. Topic is Cystic fibrosis and speaker is a client who has this disease.
3) Get published in Zane Traces Literary Journal
Zane Traces, OU Zanesville’s literary journal, is seeking submissions of short stories, poems, creative non-fiction, and artwork for its 2012/13 issue. All OU Zanesville students, staff and faculty are welcome to submit to Dr. Haven’s office, Elson 170L or Mailbox #22 (in the main office) by Monday, December 3, 2012, at 5 PM.
Submissions will be submitted to blind peer review to facilitate selection. Please submit your work with your name, phone and email on a separate cover sheet ONLY. You need only submit one copy. Contact Dr. Lisa Haven at email@example.com or 588-1535 with questions or concerns.
4) Bachelor of Specialized Studies Deadline Announced
Under the semester program, applications for the Bachelor of Specialized Studies degree program will be due in Athens Week 10 of the semester. Applications will be accepted twice a year: fall and spring. (Under the quarter system, applications were accepted all 4 quarters.) Final applications must be in the office of Carol Hoefler, Rm. 116A in the LAC, by Wednesday, Oct. 31, 2012, to meet the deadline. To arrange an appointment, stop in the LAC or call 588-1510 or 588-1494.
5) The Communication Studies Club
The COMS Club is collecting loose change for the United Way to benefit the needy in our community. Halloween bucket is placed at Roberta’s Cafeteria now until Oct. 31. Pizza sale along with Raffle for date night baskets will be on Oct. 31 to celebrate Halloween and help the United Way build community in this fall festival. Anyone who would like to join the COMS Club or help with our October events, email Hillary Moran at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6) Learn about Grad School for Psychology Majors
Good Intentions Group will be holding a meeting on November 13 from 4:00 – 5:00pm in Elson 186 to discuss issues relating to graduate school for psychology majors. You do not need to be a member of GIG to attend this meeting! The following questions will be addressed:
· How do I decide what type of program I want (psychology, counseling, social work)?
· How do I find programs / schools?
· When do I take the GRE?
· Who do I ask for letters of recommendation, and when?
· What is a personal statement?
· What can I do to improve my chances of acceptance?
7) Win a $500 scholarship from The Muskingum County Business Incubator
Student Big Idea Contest
Are you a college student that has an Idea, Invention or Innovation, but you’re not quite sure what to do with it? You could turn it into a business, develop a prototype, or maybe even sell it. But, what you can do for sure is enter the Muskingum County Business Incubator (MCBI) Student Big Idea Contest. Entering the Contest is FREE! Award for 1st Place is a $500 scholarship.
Important Contest Dates
Entry Deadline- November 2, 2012
For Contest Rules and Entry Form go to www.mcbi.info or call 740.453.3649
8) United Way Fun
OUZ’S 2012 UNITED WAY CAMPAIGN TIMELINE OF EVENTS
October 15 – November 20
Pick up your BINGO cards in the Dean’s Office. Cards are $5 each or 3 for $10 . This is an easy and fun way to support United Way! For those who haven’t played before, it is simple, you will receive a daily email with the Bingo numbers of the day. When you get an “O”, “U” or “Z” formed on your card – you win a prize!
“HALLOWEEN BUCKET/PIZZA SALE/BASKET RAFFLE”
Communication Studies Club
Now through October 31
The COMS Club is collecting loose change for the United Way to benefit the needy in our community. A Halloween bucket is placed at Roberta’s Cafeteria from October 10 to October 31. A pizza sale along with raffle for date night baskets will be on October 31 to celebrate Halloween and help the United Way build community in this fall festival.
November 1 (6p-8p)
Elson Hall Auditorium
This special event will feature OUZ’s student talent! Everyone is invited to come see our student musicians express themselves through music. Starting at 6:00p with a $5 admission fee, you can help raise money for United Way while enjoying good music and refreshments including just-popped popcorn.
“BASKET AUCTION AND 50/50 DRAWING”
November 6 (11a-1p)
Elson Hall Atrium
Individuals, departments and student groups are encouraged to put together theme baskets to be auctioned off to the highest bidder. Baskets should not exceed $25. Some suggestions for baskets are OU, cooking, relaxation, technology, coffee craver, chocoholic, book worm, movie night, and college experience. Please let Gail (email@example.com) know your theme by October 31. Baskets will be available for viewing prior to the auction in the Atrium at 10:30a; auction and 50/50 drawing 11a-1p)
COME JOIN THE FUN AND SUPPORT A GREAT CAUSE!
|There are no related articles.|